Saturday, August 27, 2011

Half-Day

Today was one of those strange days when the hint of my life before baby, house, marriage, and Oahu came sneaking back.

We took a trip to Haunama Bay today to go snorkeling.  It took a lot of packing and planning to figure out a day we could get down there.  We also managed to tempt our new babysitter (and new friend) to come out and get some snorkeling in as well as playing with Emily on the beach while D and I had sometime in the water alone.  That little hour where we swished through the water by ourselves, pointing out fish to each other, was a rare and wonderful time.

And then it happened.  In the middle of a throng on snorkeling tourists D swam up to me and wrapped his arm around my waist completely unbidden.  We treaded water there and shared an public, yet intimate, moment.  It was almost like when we were falling in love and stealing any moment to touch.  It was almost like before.

Then of course we returned to the shore and life.  I went back to the baby.  We played in the surf, took a walk along the wet sand.  D went out with friends for long treks through the reef.  Then home, a bath for the baby, a nap for Dad, a diaper change.

And it happened again.  I found myself lounging in my chair, legs perched over the armrest, falling into a book completely.  D and a friend were playing chess.  The sun was setting.  The house was quiet.  For a minute I was back to being the young, unmarried woman who could spend her days with a book and a cup of tea.  A woman who took the time to fall into and in love with a new story while her boyfriend spent time silently playing a game.

Then of course the baby whined for a hug and I drank my tea down quickly with her perched on my hip.

But for a few moments today who I was before managed to peek through.  I spent half a day as myself and half a day as my new self.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG - beach, snorkeling, relaxing with baby, snuggling with hubby... It sounds like a terrible life, this living-in-Hawaii stuff. ;)

But, in all seriousness, I'm so glad you had such a wonderful day.