Monday, June 27, 2011

Where's the Party?

Last night I got to go out to a women's only party. No men, no babies, just some drinks, hot dogs, and a movie. I've done a few moms-night-out things since Emily has been born. Normally it's a quick hour of coffee at Starbucks while the husband patiently walks Emily up and down the sidewalk outside. For the past two weeks I've been able to get out for a little knitting at the mall. But yesterday was my first party. WooHoo! I even had a little wine. Let's get crazy!

But the hostess had two dogs. That's not a bad thing. I love dogs and these two dogs were totally cute and sweet and loving. They had soft ears and wet noses and at least one liked to sit in laps and get belly rubs. He was such a loving dog he liked to be craddled, and snuggled, and rocked. Like a baby. As I watched the movie my eye would wander to this puppy lounging on his "Mother" and giving off that super content face that comes from sleepy snuggles.

I wanted my baby. I wanted her right then. I wanted to snuggle her and hug her and rub her belly until she gave me that sweet face herself. Instead of soft ears I want her soft cheek against mine. I wanted to go home and give my daughter a hug.

Which is so strange. I've been waiting and waiting for this moment when I wouldn't have to be holding or cuddling my daughter non-stop. I've been waiting for a time when I could sit on a couch and watch a movie and not have her come up and tug on me constantly. All I wanted was a little peace! For my body to be my own for a little bit. Then I got it. I had the time to drink something without little hands trying to grab it, but it wasn't all that great. I just wanted to go home and have her spill my tea all over me and laugh when she gives me that surprised grin.

Cause that's where the real party is at.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just... awwwwww! :3