Saturday, July 30, 2011

My First Dress


I know I've been complaining lately about not doing anything because my job is mostly play with baby-nurse baby-play with baby. But surprisingly I have managed to do some things.

I have what would be called a classic, hourglass figure. The irony in that description is that the hourglass figure is so "classic" it apparently doesn't exist. Or at least fashion designers don't think so. I have a small waist, full hips, and plenty up top. If I find clothes that fit my waist it won't fit my top. If it fits my top, I look like I'm wearing a potato sack everywhere else. Fitted is in style now and nothing fits me. It's annoying.

So, now I am teaching myself to make my own clothes. Never one to do things the easy way I started with a dress. But even with a pattern my shape is in the way.

On this dress the finished size the would fit my bust was a 16. In pre-made clothes I wear anywhere from a 6 to a 10 depending on the cut and style. 16, however, is always too big. But, since I was going by my largest measurement (my bust) and following the finished measurements of the pattern I did most of my cuts for a size 16. For the most part this dress was easy to put together. The hardest part is laying out the pattern with a baby in the room. I'm particularly proud of the darts on the front. They look really cute.

I had to do a lot of pinching and tucking once the garment was together to fit it to me. About two inches each seam. Because of that I folded the excess over rather than sew on seam. With white thread on pink fabric it gives a nice detail on the side and actually gives the waist more shape when I'm wearing the dress. The part that still bothers me is that I have a short torso and the midriff is just a tad long. However, I don't want to take it up too much because then it ruins the line of the skirt. Decisions, decisions.

This isn't done. I want to hem the skirt higher because mid-calf just isn't my style (I prefer just below the knee). I also think a white or pink sash will look very nice, and perhaps some detail at the straps. Otherwise, for my first garment, I think it came out quite well.


No comments: